My First Queensland Christmas

'The north wind is tossing the leaves,
The red dust is over the town,
The sparrows are under the eaves,
And the grass in the paddocks is brown,
As we lift up our voices and sing
To the Christ Child, the Heavenly King.'

The words of one of my favourite Christmas carols sang out loud and strong from the airport loudspeakers. I remembered learning them in the Sunday School choir, as an eight year old. I had always loved the Australian Christmas carols which seemed to suit our climate and lifestyle so well.
It was Christmas Eve and the early afternoon sun was blazing down as we emerged from the airport in search of a car for hire. We had just travelled nearly 2,500 kilometres up the east coast of Australia, starting out at daybreak. Three air flights later, here we were in north Queensland. For my husband-to-be, it was the usual annual Christmas return to his north-west Queensland home. It was my first visit to Queensland and I was travelling to meet my future husband's family for the very first time. Our wedding day was only three weeks away.

© Ingrid M. Smith

Some years ago I was invited to contribute to a Christmas Annual in the United Kingdom. The resultant published true story exceeded 7,000 words. The above is the opening excerpt from My First Queensland Christmas. It appeared in The Eighth Chalet Annual (FOCS) Christmas 2003 published by Friends of the Chalet School United Kingdom. The four photographs below are some of the pictures used to illustrate my article.




My First Queensland Christmas
Ponies and sugarcane at Rocking Vee
Ponies and mangoes at Rocking Vee

The Oakdale Cowboys
Bull riding practice at Rocking Vee

No comments:

Post a Comment